Bookings » Funding Categories
- Private patients:They are the mainstay of our practice and always welcome. Referrals are made by general practitioners, medical specialists, midwives, physios and other health practitioners. Private patients are responsible for all payments, although many will have private medical insurance, which often covers most or all of the cost. If in doubt, please check with your insurer before your examination, particularly for higher priced examination - CT, MRI, Angiography. We accept any referral form, although our own referral form is preferred.
- ACC: Patients referred under the ACC Regulations (not "High Technology" procedures) are subsidised by ACC, but Otago Radiology charges a surcharge over and above the ACC payment. Please refer to the list of fees, to check the surcharge rate. Referrals can be made by most health practitioners. Please use our usual form. An ACC claim number is always required.
- ACC "HIgh Tech": Patients under the ACC "HIgh Technology" rules must be referred by ACC-authorised practitioners only, usually medical specialists, but they do not have to pay a surcharge i.e examinations under this contract are free. These examinations are included in the ACC Hi Tech Schedule.
- Pregnancy Ultrasound: Pregnancy scans receive a governmemt subsidy so long as they comply with specific indications. For most women, there is still a surcharge as set out in the fee schedule. Referrals are welcome from midwives, specialists and general practitioners.
- Rural Hospital Contracts: Otago Radiology performs radiology examinations under contracts to the rural hospital trusts at Balclutha, Clyde and Gore as well as directly for the Southern DHB. There is no charge to patients who are accepted under these contracts. For some services, clinical criteria have been established to ensure that publicly funded resources are available to those with the greatest need. Check which services are offerered at our different branches.